We let them talk.
- Don’t interrupt them. Let them talk and let them keep talking. When we get angry due to poor service some of us just want to let off steam. We need to let the angry client express their anger, interrupting them may well just get them angrier!
- If you have to say something just try ‘I see’ or ‘Mmm’, so that they know you’re still on the line.
- Resist the urge to answer their problem, just let them keep talking.
- Help them to talk some more! Make sure we’ve understood the situation by asking them open questions. The more they talk the chances are the more they are likely to calm down.
- It may be that we don’t say anything except for the odd word for a few minutes, but this is fine. Allowing the angry person to express their anger can have a cathartic affect on them, in that this is exactly what they need.
It may sound simplistic but the first thing that we need to do with angry client is juts to shut up and let them blow.
What do we do after that? That will be in a future post.