It sounds glib but most lawyers go into a career in the law because they are interested in the law. They tend not to be attracted by business development or networking. This means that when they are asked to go to networking events they are not always sure how to do it. In fact with a little training lawyers can be given the tools to participate in networking events successfully. Building on this it will also help them on how to follow up on initial meetings at events.
Networking for lawyers
The workshop focuses on how lawyers can follow up on introductions made socially or through business networking. The objective is to move the contact forward in the sales process; from gaining a lead to another contact in the prospect’s organisation, through to arranging a business meeting with the contact.
It is very helpful to work with your BD or Marketing people to get their perspective on how they would like your lawyers to develop.
The session is most useful when lawyers have a target list of potential contacts they wish to develop. This makes the session into a workshop with specific outcomes for each participant.
- Inntroductions & objectives
- Challenging the preconceptions of lawyers
- The sales process
- Managing sales time
- Prospect database & keeping content up to date with prompts for contact
- Using Linked In
Awareness of personality types
- Communication skills framework
- Benefits of contact from the prospect’s perspective
- Questioning & listening
- Partnership language
- Networking with a potential client
- Making the follow up call & email
- Personal scenarios & practice
- Summary of workshop
- Personal action plans
- Draft workshop outline tailored to your needs
- Agreement of agenda
- Participants complete a short questionnaire and read the ITD Work Style Model in preparation for the workshop.
Post workshop activity
- Participants leave with individual actions
- Email follow up of personal action plans
- Suggested conversation with their line manager on their actions
- Optional WebEx conference call follow up on these actions
- Optional 121 coaching
- ITD blog with further tips and suggestions
The Associates and Senior Associates in this firm are required to network and develop contacts. The training was designed for them to action follow up, but also how to approach business breakfasts and other semi-social introductions.
The lawyers involved in this training really know their law and are extremely competent at the legal part of thair work. But selling does not come naturally to them.
Simply to help the lawyers develop their awareness of selling and what to do in specific situations.
We put together a half day session with pre-work and follow up with an agenda similar to that above.
Specific situations were discussed and practised. But this was not formal structured role play just practice around the training table.
- “Very useful and very practical”
- “I would recommend all our lawyers should do this training.”
“This training really helps develop the confidence of our lawyers by giving them practical tools to uses at events and following them.”
Start a conversation
Reach out on +44 (0)800 804 8086