People management training – ITD
People management training helps managers to get the most from their teams and for their teams to get the most from their managers.
Managing people can be one of the most rewarding and difficult of jobs. We’ve trained many in our people management training courses, but the challenges they face are always very interesting.
People management training
Managing people is not an exact science, it is a blend of proven techniques with instinct and constant learning and practice. Our approach to people management training is a blend of training and coaching; introducing ideas and applying these through coaching with the participants.
People management training from ITD
Our people management training workshops give the participants ideas and tips on the necessary processes and skills to manage people effectively.
Managing people can be very difficult, but there are some definite ground rules which, if we set in place correctly, can create a successful platform.
The benefits of managing people can be tremendous. The reward of delegating successfully; of seeing one of the team grow; in helping a person overcome their personal challenges and achieving what appeared to be unassailable obstacles; of seeing a colleague progress and advance.
Our workshop is practical and based on experience. It gives the participants very useful tools which they can apply immediately in the workplace. We encourage all participants to bring their challenges into the session so that we can help them with tips and ideas.
Typical challenges covered in our people management training
- Motivating people who have to deal with old problems
- People who don’t want to be managed, don’t believe you and don’t do as you ask them!
- Balance of managing people and processes
- Managing people remotely
- Changing the behaviour of established people
- How to give negative or developmental feedback
- People not accepting feedback
- Dealing with challenging people and the time it takes
- People worrying about things they cannot control
What is people management training?
People management training can mean any sort of course or workshop which helps your people improve their overall approach and skills. There is a lot of choice on the market but our approach is different. We blend training and coaching so that your people get what they need not what the training company say they should have.
How will your people management training be designed to suit your needs?
- All of our training is designed around our client’s needs at no extra cost. Our training is competitive and effective. We start by asking you about your needs and what results you’d like to see as a result of your investment
- We discuss what we’ve done before and the sort of training programme which could suit your people.
- We design a solution then discuss it with you before the final version is ready. If possible we pilot this before roll out.
What roles have we delivered people management training for?
- Team leaders
To receive our free management tips and ideas sign up here for the ITD management blog[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Latest management blog posts
[catlist name=Management / leadership]
To get a quick quote and proposal for your training need complete this[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Call +44 (0)800 804 8086 now to discuss your needs for people management training
People management training overview
Who benefits from people management training?
Any person with responsibility for managing other people.
How long will it take?
It depends on what you require, but it can be anything from a one day session, or two day workshop to a programme over several months.
In which country can it take place?
Wherever you want it. We deliver training in UK, Europe, US, Africa, Middle East & Far East.
Which venues are suitable?
Your offices, a hotel or conference centre. If you don’t have a venue organised we can help suggest some alternatives.
- Introduction & objectives
- Challenges in managing peopl
- Work Style Model – understanding our approach to work
- What is the role?
- Managing expectations
- Setting the ground rules
- Contracting conversations
- Running 121s
- Running team meetings
- Managing appraisals
- Dealing with difficult people
- Dealing with difficult situations & people
- Delegating successfully
- Fundamentals of Coaching
- Practical scenarios
- Workshop summary
- Personal actions
Pre workshop activity
- Meeting to discuss the participant’s needs and those of the organisation
- Draft workshop outline tailored to your needs
- Agreement of agenda
- Participants complete a short questionnaire on their challenges and expectations for the training
Post workshop activity
- Participants leave with individual actions
- Email follow up of personal action plans
- Suggested conversation with their line manager on their actions
- Optional WebEx conference call follow up on these actions
- Optional 121 coaching
- ITD blog with further tips and suggestions
- Managers learn good foundations for establishing their role.
- People discuss their challenges and gain ideas on how hey could deal with them.
- Your managers get practical ideas to help in their every day situations.
- Each person gains ideas which will work for them, not just broad theories of management.
- “The feedback is consistently excellent for this programme.”
- “Our managers like the fact that it is a workshop style and very involving.”
- “I am going to put a number of things into practice including the one to ones, team meetings and contracting conversations.”
- “Very interesting course.”
- “I like the way the workshop is structured around us rather than just a lot of theory. It was very practical and thought provoking”
To receive our Free People Management Tip Sheet just complete your details below[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Call us on +44 (0)800 804 8086 or fill in the enquiry form to explore how we could help your organisation with our people management training
People Management Training – Case Study
Cambridge Cognition is the leading global provider of cognitive assessment software for use in clinical trials, academic research and healthcare provision – advancing research, diagnosis and treatment in mental health worldwide.
The business has experienced the typical growing challenges of any organisation experiencing growth in a technological field. A new role of team leader was created to oversee teams of people in all the different departments.
The need was to help these team leaders with a comprehensive overview of managing people.
We met with the team leaders and senior management to gain a good understanding of both the training needs but also the business culture. The latter is important for us to put the training into context of the participants’ reality.
We then designed a programme of one day training interventions spread over 6 months:
- Challenges of managing people.
- Definition of managing & team leader roles.
- Team meetings; purpose, structure, practice.
- 121s; purpose, structure, practice.
- Review of personal actions; what worked, what didn’t, what needs further work.
- Handling difficult situations; bad news, redeployment, conflict.
- Managing disruptive people who are otherwise good performers.
- Personal action plans
- Review of personal actions.
- Managing performance.
- Creating the right culture in your team.
- Managing upwards.
- Building relationships with other teams.
- Celebrating success.
- Action plans.
The main outcomes of the people management training were:
- Participants gained clear ideas on the fundamentals of people management, including the key processes
- These new team leaders had an opportunity to discuss their challenges and get ideas from the ITD training consultant on what to do.
- Confidence was built by having the programme spread over several months.
What the client said
“Very pleased with the approach and the delivery which really focused on our people and their needs.”
What the participants said
- “It was good to keep the training focused on our situations”
- “We enjoyed discussing our challenges and practising possible solutions”
- “I liked the idea that the sessions were spread over months, so we had time to learn and then get together to discuss what happened.”
Why choose ITD for your people management training?
1. We will design your people management training to fit your requirements and the needs of your people, at no extra cost.
2. Our training is practical with ideas easily transferable to every day situations.
3. Your managers will discuss their challenges and their needs in the training, so that it becomes more of a workshop than a course.
4. We have a unique action planning tool which helps your people create realistic actions.
5. Our work is based on practical experience from client interactions over the past 12 years.
6. We follow up with your people with coaching and additional support.
We’d be delighted to talk to you about your need for people management training, call +44 (0)800 804 8086 now for an informal chat